Begin at the foot and knit a rectangle, (some use 4 needles which does away having to sew up the back when you have completed your doll) and change yarn colours for each body segment. The head is stuffed and the neck formed by pulling in a thread. The arms and legs are defined by stitching through all layers after the doll is stuffed. The number of rows in each part of the doll can be increased or decreased depending on the individual design. Finished, the height of each doll is approx. 5 inches.
Yarn and needles:
- small quantities of a sport weight yarn on 3 mm needles OR
- small quantities of a DK weight yarn on 3.5 mm needles OR
- small quantities of a worsted weight yarn (for a larger doll) on 4 mm or 4.5 mm needles
- Tapestry needle
- Polyester fiberfill
- Embroidery floss for face
- Since we work in many countries, using various tones and shades of wool for the faces is appreciated.
- Smaller dolls work better for packing purposes.
- Smaller dolls mean more dolls in each kit and more kids who get to receive a doll.
- Work in stocking stitch throughout
- Cast on 32 Sts (if using four needles, cast on 33 stitches 3 X 11)
- Work four rows for feet – change yarn
- Work 14 rows for pants – change yarn
- Work 12 rows for sweater – change yarn
- Work 8 rows for face – change yarn
- Work 11 rows for hat as follows:
- Row 1 – 4: Work evenly in stocking stitch
- Row 5: K3, K2tog; (K4, K2tog) 4 times, K3 (27 stitches)
- Rows 6, 8 and 10: Knit across row in stocking stitch
- Row 7: K 2, K2tog; (K3, K2tog) 4 times, K3 (22 stitches)
- Row 9: (K2, K2tog) across the row, ending with K2 (17 stitches)
- Row 11: (K1, K2 together) 5 times, K2tog
- Draw yarn through remaining Sts and pull up.
- Sew sides together to form a centre back seam (if using two needles).
- Stuff head. Weave a strand of matching yarn across the first face row.
- Draw up to form neck and secure ends.
- Repeat for body, drawing in at the ankles – Stuff.
- Stuff feet and sew up bottom.
- With matching yarn, form arms with tiny backstitches through all layers
- from waist to 2 rows beneath the neck.
- Define the legs in same way from bottom to a little below the waistline.
- Embroider hair and facial features as desired.
Use your imagination to finish.
Mail or drop off your Izzy Dolls:
2907 Portland Drive
Oakville, ON L6H 5S4